17.6.07

Beans?

I had brought up the idea of a baked beans challenge at the last Madison Blogger Roundup. A few expressed interest, but there no definitive plans were made. If anyone actually wants to do this, I will need to know who and how many so I know how much beans to get. So if anyone was serious, and if anyone else wants to give it a go, please RSVP by leaving a comment here.

I was thinking doing this before or to start the Blogger Roundup 3.0 would be the best time. Brad had set a start time of 6:30 at Ians Pizza Annex. The bean eating could be done concurrently, as I doubt competitors will want to eat anything else afterward. I can bring the supplies needed, but I do need a suggestion for a good place to hold the event (and possibly someplace to cook the beans).

When I ate a 7lb pound can a while back, I ate the first half in under an hour, but the second half took me the rest of the day. So, in the interest of finishing this in a reasonable amount of time, I think we need to limit the competition to just a half-can (3.5 lbs, 7.5 cups, 13 servings) per person. If you want to eat more, you can, but I don't plan on waiting for you, or calling 911 when you die.

I am open to suggestions. If you really want to compete, but can't do it when I have proposed, I am still open to rescheduling at this time. And certainly, be sure to let me know if this whole idea was just half-baked. I thought I'd do this because a few wanted to make a competition out of it, but if no one else was serious I have no problem with eating my giant can of beans by myself.

ADDENDUM: I had figured that a speed competition to see who could finish 3.5 lbs first would take about an hour. I can see how some may not want to spend that much time on this. Another option would be doing a 'how much can you eat in 15 minutes' competition. Let me know what you'd rather do and I'll go with the consensus.

If anyone was wondering, the official IFOCE record for baked beans is 6 lbs in 1 min 48 sec.

And yes, I am aware that doing this Wednesday will result in a bit of a stink at the Blogger Roundup.

UPDATE: It's clear this needs a bit more time to get the details worked out. So let's postpone the competition for now. I imagine the Roundup tonight will be the best time to work things out if anyone can make it.

2 Comments:

Blogger J said...

Haha, if I was in Madison for the summer I'd probably attempt to join. I feel bad for whoever has to hang out with the participants the rest of the night and especially the next day.

18/6/07 21:43  
Blogger Ryan said...

I really think there needs to be some sort of time element. I'd say there are two types of eating contests, speed and capacity. If it's speed you're looking for, I don't think there should be a time limit, other than simply when the first person finishes. If we do that, I don't think we should do it on Wednesday, but I'm def. open to the idea at some point in the very near future. But on the other hand, there is the capacity challenge with a time limit and an unlimited amount of beans. Let me know what you're thinking I'll check back here.

18/6/07 22:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home