17.5.07

Rapier Wit

Recently, the radio show Opie and Anthony got some criticism after a segment where a regular guest, "Homeless Charlie," talked about raping Sec State Condi Rice, First Lady Laura Bush, and the Queen of England. I won't post the clip or transcript, because I do not happen to think it was funny, and I don't think it's content is particularly important to my point I'm making, but the clip is here if you want to listen to it.

Normally, in this case I would quote Voltaire, "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it." Instead, I am actually going to take a pro-rape joke-stance. (Now let's be clear: I do not condone rape.) To me, this is even more than a freedom of speech issue. It is about the freedom to have a sense of humor, the right to laugh at whatever you find funny. I'll let Patrice O'Neal explain. (It's worth watching to see the "Angry Pirate" and the "Donkey Punch" discussed on Fox News.)



I like him. And he's consistent (on Imus, on Richards). And in my opinion, he does know funny, as he says. Though he did try to talk over people far too much on Tough Crowd.

I think is is extremely hypocritical to make a big fuss when someone jokes about raping women, when at least 95% of all rape jokes are about men getting raped.

I think this is funny.


Humor is okay. Failed humor is regrettable, but it doesn't hurt anyone. Jokes do not encourage rape any more than they encourage infanticide. I don't want the world censored. I don't want someone to decide for me what is and is not funny. No topic should be off limits for discussion. Rape humor is okay. Holocaust humor is okay. Much of humor is derived out of that which is painful. How else is this funny?


I wanted to link to some funny rape jokes, but they are surprisingly hard to find through Google. Sarah Silverman has one that goes: “I was raped by a doctor, which is so bittersweet for a Jewish girl.”

That one's not that bad. Now, to practice what I preach, I will tell the worst, most offensive joke I know. And it involves rape. And children. Just warning you.

--------------------------------------------------------------

How do you make a little girl cry twice.
Wipe the blood off on her teddy bear.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not going to be original this time, so all I am going to say that your blog rocks, sad that I don't have suck a writing skills

21/2/10 10:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)

13/3/10 04:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home