29.11.05

Duck Duck Goose

I was watching the Daily Show with Jon Stewart last night and they showed a segment about Bush’s Press Secretary Scott McClellan dodging questions at a press conference. My first press conference as President will be handled by me, and I will use it to announce that I will be handling all of my Press Conferences. My Press Secretary will arrange things with the media, and schedule things and prepare things. He or she will basically do secretarial work. A secretary does not give presentations, or field questions. That’s the job of the guy in charge. When I want to announce something, I’ll announce it. When I want to let the press ask questions, I’ll answer them. And for a really radical idea, I’ll actually answer them. Directly. No ducking the issue, giving vague responses, sound bites that sound good but don’t actually say anything. I will give a full, honest answer to any question asked. Eventually, people will learn not to ask me about certain things if they don’t really want a full answer. I just think if you’re going to do something, you should be able to explain why and be capable of defending it. Something about accountability.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home